Identity theft has remained the fastest growing crime in America for years. Hard drives are a major electronic resource that can tear a business apart if they fall into the wrong hands. Without taking secure steps to destroy hard drives, company files, like social security numbers and financial records, are easily accessible. The financial burden and corporate chaos that results from these security scandals can be avoided.
According to a survey done by Hewlett-Packard Financial Services, more than 65% of executives with purchasing authority are unaware of the potential fines they can face for improper disposal of electronics. Businesses are required by law to properly destroy hard drives in order to maintain the highest levels of security.
The fines are just the beginning:
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) allows fines up to $250,000 and 10 years in prison for each violation of patient health information privacy rules.
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act imposes penalties of up to $100,000 per violation by financial institutions.
A data security company has an obligation to its clients–the secure destruction of your confidential information.
What it takes to securely destroy hard drives:
- Destroying hard drives doesn’t simply involve deleting the files. Like the old rule of posting anything online–just because you hit delete doesn’t mean the file isn’t still floating around somewhere.
- Hard drives need to be tracked from the time they’re picked up to when the shredding takes place. Transporting items in locked containers that are monitored from the moment they’re picked up to when they arrive at a secure destruction area.
- An accredited information disposal company should provide a certificate of destruction so you have proof of a securely destroyed hard drive.
- Never. Never. Never re-sell. The money that you could make from re-selling a hard drive is not worth the chance of your secure information getting revealed. Shredding is the only solution to securely destroy hard drives.
Contact us to securely destroy your hard drives. We are dedicated to the complete destruction of hard drives and other electronic media. We leave nothing to chance.